An authentic Japanese garden with ancient roots is the enchanting setting surrounding an elegant tea room perched on the edge of the pond, where we can enjoy a cup of matcha, a strong, fragrant green tea. A visit to a mystical Shinto shrine and free time for shopping at an incredible shopping centre help to make this excursion the perfect way to bid farewell to Japan.
What we will see
- Fukuoka sightseeing tour
- Fukuoka Tower: the tallest coastal tower in Japan
- Visit to Yusentei Park
- Matcha tea tasting
- Visit to Kushida Shinto shrine
- Shopping at the Canal City Hakata shopping centre
What we will do
- We leave the port by coach and embark on a sightseeing tour of Fukuoka, a modern city which still preserves a rich heritage of history and tradition.
- Along the way, we will have the chance to admire Fukuoka Tower, which soars 234 metres high, making it the tallest coastal tower in Japan. Erected on the Momochi seafront, it was built in 1989 to commemorate the centenary of the foundation of the modern city.
- Our first stop will be Yusentei Park, created in 1745 to embellish the private residence of the Kuroda clan. It was the first Japanese garden in Fukuoka designed around a pond.
- Within the gardens there is a beautiful tea room where we will be served a fragrant cup of matcha (green tea), which we can sip by the pond watching the colourful carp entertain us.
- Our next destination is Hakata, a district of Fukuoka that was an independent city for many centuries, considered one of the oldest in Japan.
- We will visit the Kushida shrine, a small, ancient Shinto shrine dating back to the 8th century. It is a place to worship the deity of success in business, eternal youth and a long life: making an offering could really work in our favour!
- We will then travel to Canal City Hakata, a vast shopping centre known as the 'city within the city': it contains over 250 businesses including shops, cafés and restaurants arranged over five floors overlooking a wide artificial canal where a fountain show entertains visitors at regular intervals.
- We will have some free time for shopping here, so we can search for the perfect souvenir to take home or browse the shops selling typical Japanese products or items from the biggest international brands.
- At the end of our visit, we will get back on the coach, which will take us to Fukuoka airport.
|When would you like to leave?